George Baines 1852-1934

Architect George Baines was born in 1852 and served his apprenticeship in the office of Bottle & Olley Great Yarmouth. He commenced practice in Accrington, Lancashire in 1874, and moved to London in 1884 where he practised first at Clement's Inn, Strand and later at Victoria Street, London until his retirement in 1929.

He specialised in designing churches for the Baptists but did design churches for other denominations. His son Reginald Palmer Baines became a partner in 1901, the practice name becoming G & R P Baines and it continued in designing churches.

He was the architect for Trafalgar Street church and the unusual flint facing was used as far as we know on only two of his designs. Photographs of both are shown on the 'About us' page.

 

 Cambridge

 

 

Saltburn (Cleveland)

 

 

Ilford

 




Seven Kings London


These are just some of George Baines' churches: they do follow a distinct Gothic design. If anyone has corrections please do not hesitate to contact us so we can correct delete or update.





 






 







WORKING TO PROTECT OUR HERITAGE

Community Web Kit provided free by BT